Free Cellphone Plan
Telus Mobility for Good Program
This program (opens in new window) offers eligible young people who exited government care a free cellphone and a 2-year data plan at no cost. After the 2 years is up, you only have to pay $25 per month.
What you get from Telus
- Unlimited text and talk Canada-wide
- 3 GB of high-speed data, and unlimited data at reduced speeds.
- Free refurbished phone
- Free call display, conference call, call waiting and voicemail
- Free SIM card (if needed)
- No contract or cancellation fees
- Be at the age of majority in the province you are currently living in (even if your care status is in another province). For example, if you aged out of care in Manitoba at 18 years old, and moved to BC where the age of majority is 19 years old then you would have to wait until you are 19 years old.
- Be under 26 years old
- Have been in either permanent or temporary care
- Aged out of the CFS system on your 18th birthday. You can be on an AYA (Agreements with Young adults/ Extension of Care).
How to apply
- Get a letter (opens in new window) from your agency, authority, non-profit or band that can verify you were in care. The letter has to be in the template (opens in new window) that Telus provides.
- Apply online (opens in new window).
- Wait for your personal verification code through email (can take up to 2 weeks).
How to know if I got accepted
- Check your email frequently (including junk mail) for your letter of approval with your verification code.
- You will receive your personal verification code via email within two weeks of signing up.
Got my code, now what?
- You can call or use online chat to set up your account.
- When you contact Telus you will need to provide the following information:
- Your Driver’s License, SIN or Provincial Photo Card (any one of these is acceptable).
- Phone number and account number of any cell phone provider you want to transfer from, or your TELUS phone number (if applicable).
- Accessible mailing address for shipping of the phone and/or sim card.
You do not have to do a credit check for this program. If you are asked for a credit check you can tell them that youth in this program do not have to provide a credit check.
For more information contact the Telus Mobility for Good program by email.