Home 9 Financials 9 Low Income Grants

Low-Income Grants

Low-Income Grants

Both the provincial and federal governments offer rebates, refunds, and grants to folks who meet below a specific income.

Rental Assistance Program

Rental Assistance Program (RAP) can provide you with up to $636 towards your rent. The calculation is based on your last year’s tax return.  Haven’t done your taxes? Contact the Futures Forward Financial Counsellors and get your taxes done for free.  


    • You are paying rent or room and board & have a rental agreement or lease 
    • Over 18 
    • Your last year’s tax return with an income of less than: 
      • $25,440 for a single person 
      • $28,720 for a single person who qualifies for the Disability Tax Credit  
      • $32,000 for 2 people  
      • $41,400 for 3 or 4 people 
      • $52, 640 for 5 or more people  

Not eligible if: 

    • You are receiving EIA (Employment and Income Assistance)
    • You or your common-law partner live on reserve
    • You have an outstanding warrant 
    • You rent with Manitoba Housing
    • You receive other rental subsidies
    • You live in student housing  

    How to Apply

    1. Calculate how much you can receive using the online estimator 
    2. Print the application (opens in new window)
    3. Get important documents together 
        • Proof of Income through last year’s tax return  
        • Completed direct deposit form and have your bank stamp it  (the application has a specific form) 
        • Copy of your lease or rental agreement 
        • Canada Child Benefits notice (if applicable) 
        • Copies of any funding you are receiving for school 
        • Social Insurance Number (SIN) – for you and anyone else over 18 living in your home 
    4. Complete the application (opens in new window)

    Email, mail, or drop off your application here:

    Manitoba Families Provincial Services – Rent Assist Community Service Delivery Division

    100 – 114 Garry Street
    Winnipeg, MB R3C 4V4
    Telephone: 204-948-7368
    Toll-Free: 1-877-587-6224
    Fax: 204-945-3930
    Email: incsup@gov.mb.ca 

    Canada-Manitoba Youth Benefit

    This benefit can provide former youth in care with up to $250. This money can be sent directly to you, your landlord, or someone you trust. You can receive payment for up to 24 months.


      • You aged out of care within the last year
      • Need help paying for rent
      • Your last year’s earnings equal to or less than:
      • $28,720 for a single person
      • $32,000 for 2 people
      • $41,400 for 3 or 4 people
      • $52, 640 for 5 or more people
      • Live in a privately owned property (not run by the government or a non-profit)
      • Have a rental agreement or lease
      • Your last year’s tax return is complete

        How to Apply

        1. Gather important documents and information:
            • Your CFS Agency name and address
            • Your CFS case worker’s name, phone number, and email
            • Name, address, and contact information for your landlord
            • Your current utility costs
            • Your tax return or pay statements to prove your income
            • Information about other monthly income like child support, child tax, AYA
            • Social Insurance Number (SIN)
            • Landing date (if applicable)
            • Copy of your tenancy agreement or lease
            • Either a void cheque or your bank stamps the direct deposit form in the application
        2. Fill out the application (opens in new window)
        3. Submit your application and supporting documents to:

        Email: incsup@gov.mb.ca

        Manitoba Families Provincial Services
        100-114 Garry Street Winnipeg MB, R3C 4V4
        Telephone: 204-948-7368
        Toll-Free: 1-877-587-6224

        Wait for a response. If you don’t receive an email back within 5 days (not including the weekend), it’s ok to email or call and ask if it was received.

        If your family size or income changes you need to let CMHB people know by filling out and submitting the Change in Information (opens in new window) form or calling 204-948-7368.

        If you receive this benefit, you are required to fill out a renewal form. You can do so by filling out this form or calling 204-948-7368.

        If you have received this benefit, don’t forget to renew it once a year by completing this form (opens in new window).


      Manitoba Child Benefit

      This program has 2 benefits to help with optical care for your child(ren).

      The first is the Manitoba Child Benefit (opens in new window) provides low-income Manitobans with $35 per month/ $420 per year towards prescription glasses for their children under 18 years old.

      The Children’s Opti-Care Program (opens in new window) provides an additional $84 rebate to low-income Manitobans.

      Both require separate applications.


        • have at least one child in your custody.
        • must be receiving the Manitoba Child Benefit before applying for this benefit.
        • must be receiving Canada Child Tax Benefit before applying for this benefit.
        • considered a low-income (opens in new window) earner.
        • can not be on EIA.
        • Completed your taxes from last year.

      How to Apply

      For the Manitoba Child Benefit, fill out the application (opens in new window) and mail it to

      Provincial Services
      100 – 114 Garry Street
      Winnipeg, MB R3C 4V4
      Phone: 204-948-7368
      Toll Free: 1-877-587-6224

      Looking for help?