Home 9 CFS 9  Financial Support

Financial Support

CFS Support – Over 18 Years Old

Agreements With Young Adults (AYA)

An Agreement with a Young Adult (AYA) is often referred to as an extension of care or an extension of CFS services. The purpose of this funding is to provide you with more time with a support system as you transition into a self-sufficient adult.

If you are removed from this program or choose to exit the program, you can not ask for it again. 


  1. You must be a permanent ward on your 18th birthday. Temporary and voluntary wards are not eligible.
  2. You must have goals that you are working on. CFS defines goals as education, transition into adult or independent living services, training, treatment, and cultural services.
  3. You are not eligible for Community Living disAbility Services (CLDS)

How to apply

Ask your CFS worker. Your worker is required to explain this program to you when transition planning starts, but you can ask them anytime you want. Currently, transition planning starts when your turn 15 years old. 

What does an AYA cover?

AYA funding will provide you with some money and services to help you in your transition. The money given to you ranges and should be part of your signed agreement.

  • Household Allowance (laundry supplies, dry cleaning, paper products, cleaning supplies)
  • Food
  • Rent
  • Health and Personal Care (hair care, dental care, personal hygiene, over-the-counter drugs)
  • Transportation
  • Medical costs not covered by First Nations and Inuit Health Branch (FNIHB)
  • Ongoing therapy of a psychiatric or psychological nature where not directly covered by Manitoba Health Services Coverage or covered by another department or agency
  • Additional care and treatment that was identified in your transition planning, consistent with the services you are already receiving.

Appealing a denial

If you are eligible for AYA, but denied by your worker, agency or Authority you can appeal the decision.

Check out the CFS Complaints process section on this website for more information on how to appeal the decision. 

What you can expect

  • You will have to meet with your worker to make a written plan of the goals you want to work on when you age out of care.
  • You will have to sign the written agreement 3 months before you age out. This is because your worker has to get their supervisor to sign it, then send it to the Authority that manages the agency. They have to sign it and send it to the Director of CFS who then has the final approval.
  • If you would like to stay in your foster or group home, let your worker know, because this could be an option.
  • Typically, agreements are 6 months long and are reviewed with your worker to see if services are still needed and if you are achieving your goals.

Your responsibilities

The AYA program in Manitoba treats youth exiting care as fully responsible and mature adults. You will need to take your goals and responsibilities very seriously to continue to receive the supports of the program. Taking on these responsibilities in your first years of adulthood might make you feel isolated from your peers, but Futures Forward is here to help you adjust to your new responsibilities.

  • You have to work on the goals identified in your contract (agreement).
  • If you think you won’t be able to achieve your goals based on your agreement, you need to let your worker know ASAP.
  • Meet with your worker when they ask.

At any point, your worker can cancel your agreement if they believe you are not working on your goals or if you have achieved them. 

What are the goals that CFS will accept?

  • Education: finishing high school, attending a post-secondary school or completing certificate programs.
  • Employment: taking pre-employment programs, job preparation and job searching.
  • Life Skills: transitioning into independent or adult living, taking independent living programs, and taking part in cultural programming.
  • Wellness: accessing mental health counselling, cultural programming, or other programming that helps you achieve success.

Supports for Young Adults Grant

The purpose of this grant is to extend the financial supports and services you would have received from CFS with the goal of helping you in your transition into adulthood.


  • You are turning 18 years old and not a permanent ward or your AYA is ending because you are turning 21 years old.

What You Could Receive 

Agencies may continue to provide care and maintenance for a young adult under the grant mirroring those expenses that are eligible under an AYA.

  • Living Support Per Diem expenses:
    • basic maintenance
    • fee for service
    • support
    • independent living costs
  • Special Needs Support (Elder/Cultural Services & Therapy)
  • Home Visits
  • Medical Costs (Prescriptions, Dental Work, Optical, General Medical, and Medical Transportation)
  • Identification
  • Independent Living Costs 

How to apply

Ask your worker. Your CFS worker would have received a policy about this grant. They should provide you with an application or contract that explains what grant money you will receive and why. If you are denied, you have a right to a written letter stating why. 

  • If your worker does not know about the grant, ask to speak to their supervisor.
  • If contacting your worker and their supervisor doesn’t work, contact an Advocate. 

Looking for Help?

Contact Info

Phone: 204.982.4956 or
Toll-Free: 1.866.982.4956

Email: info@voices.mb.ca

Contact Info

Phone: 204.982.4956 or
Toll-Free: 1.866.982.4956

Email: info@voices.mb.ca